Echoes of Sheridan County: Towns, Post Offices, and Railway Stations.
- Michael Dykhorst
- Feb 1, 2024
- 8 min read
This is a basic list....Should you be interested in a more detailed historical account of any town for a future blog post, please feel free to inform me. Note that certain towns might have only been referenced once in a newspaper. Additionally, if there are any towns I have overlooked, I welcome your input. While I endeavored to gather as many photographs as possible, focusing on their historical significance, there were instances where I could not locate any historical images.
BOLD TOWNS = STILL IN EXISTENCE TODAY (2024)
AVAILABLE PHOTOS OF EACH TOWN NESTLED UNDER NAME

Acme: Nestled 12 miles northeast of the Sheridan Post Office and operational from 1909 to 1980, Acme thrived as a coal mine camp alongside a Burlington train station. The name itself denotes "Prime" or "Best," highlighting the town's esteemed status.

Aiki: Situated 22 miles southeast of Sheridan, Aiki was home to a Burlington train station from just before 1907 to an undetermined end date. Its name, inspired by the alkaline content of its water, reflects the town's unique natural feature.
Akins: Later named Parkman.
Alger: Just 9 miles north of Sheridan, Alger featured a Burlington train station operational before 1907 until an unspecified time. Named after Horace C. Alger, an early coal miner and one-time mayor of Sheridan, the town is approximately in the area once known as Kleenburn/Carneyville.

Arno: Located 8 miles east of Sheridan, Arno had a Burlington train station before 1907, with its name honoring the Arno River in Italy. In 1907, its buildings were relocated to Wyarno, marking a significant transition in its history.
Arvada: 58 miles southeast of Sheridan, has maintained its post office from 1893 to the present and once hosted a Burlington train station, marking its long-standing presence in the region.

Badger Creek: Northeast of Sheridan, Badger Creek emerged as a rural settlement around 1910, its duration marked by an ellipsis, indicating a history that may extend beyond its initial years.
Bald Mountain (or Bald Mountain City): Northwest of Sheridan, this gold mining town had a post office from 1891 to 1899, showcasing its brief yet notable existence during a booming mining era.

Bales: 12 miles northwest of Ranchester, Bales was served by a Burlington train station from 1923 until an unknown date, marking another chapter in the region's rich transportation history.
Banner: 18 miles south of Sheridan, Banner's post office was operational from 1884 to 1919 and then from 1922 to 2004. It was named in honor of the Banner Ranch, reflecting the town's agricultural roots.
Bear Lodge: West of Sheridan, Bear Lodge had a post office from 1968 to 1973, indicating a brief period of settlement in the area.
Beckton: 10 miles southwest of Sheridan, Beckton was established in 1883, with its post office running from 1884 to 1900. Named after George W. Beck, a pioneer who ran a flour mill there, the town was originally called Milltown due to Beck's flour mill.
Big Corrals: Located 6 miles northeast of Clearmont, Big Corrals had a Burlington Train Station star ting in 1923, the duration of which is left open-ended.
Big Horn: 10 miles south of Sheridan, has had a post office since 1879, with a brief interruption before resuming in 1905 to the present. Named after the nearby mountain range, it was home to the area's first permanent settler in 1878 and the first college, marking it as a foundational community in Sheridan County's development.

Bingham: northwest of Sheridan, recognized from 1880 to 1895, was named after John A. Bingham, Jr., superintendent of Patrick Brothers stage Line in 1879
Burke: northwest of Sheridan, bore the name of Rebecca Burke from 1905 to 1906.
Cardiz: 46 miles southeast of Sheridan, proposed in 1905 but rescinded in 1907, was a planned Burlington train station named by a railroad worker to honor the city of Cadiz, Spain, but was eventually moved and transformed into Leiter.
Carneyville: 9 miles northwest of Sheridan from 1904 to 1921, was a coal mining camp and Burlington train station founded by the Carney brothers, later becoming Kleenburn.

Carroll: 15 miles southeast of Sheridan, operated from 1904 to 1922, honoring its sole postmaster Minnie Carroll.
Cedar Rapids: 10 miles northwest of Clearmont and marked the original name of Ucross in 1914.
Charger: 10 miles northwest of Clearmont, served as a post office from 1915 to 1916 before adopting the Ucross name.
Clearmont: 38 miles southeast of Sheridan since 1892, has served as a Burlington train station and livestock shipping hub, named for its proximity to Clear Creek and hosting German POWs in 1945

Dayton: 18 miles northwest of Sheridan since 1883, was named for Joseph Dayton Thorn, a local rancher and banker, and became home to Wyoming's first female mayor, Susan Whissler, in 1911.

Dewey: 10 miles north of Sheridan opperated from 1899 to 1902.
Dietz: 5 miles north of Sheridan. Coal camp opperating from 1901 to 1930 on the Burlington Railroad; named for mine operator C. N. Dietz of the Sheridan Coal Company; once had over 2,500 residents; originally called Higby.

Ensign: Post office authorized in 1893 but never opperational.
Fort Mackenzie: 2.5 miles north west of Sheridan opperated from 1905 to 1918. U.S. Army post; established in 1897 and was named for General Ronald Mackenzie. It was discontinued as a military post in 1914 and reopened in 1922 as a veterans' hospital.

Fortunatus: a gold camp northwest of Sheridan in the 1890s, drew its name from a legendary hero blessed with an inexhaustible gold fortune, symbolizing the aspirations of its inhabitants for wealth and prosperity.
Granite: See Rockwood
Hamilton: 21 miles southeast of Sheridan from 1904 to 1913, nestled on the Hamilton Ranch, later transitioned to Johnson County, reflecting the mobility and evolution of communities in response to changing economic and environmental conditions.
Higby: initially 5 miles north of Sheridan from 1894 to 1901, was a coal camp named after an early miner, later renamed Dietz, showcasing the common practice of renaming places to honor notable individuals or align with new identities.

Huson: southeast of Sheridan in 1892, was named for Edward "Doc" W. Huson.

Kendrick: 50 miles southeast of Sheridan, had a post office from 1907 to 1909 and was a major cattle shipping point in Sheridan County,
Kleenburn: initially Carneyville, became a prominent coal camp after its acquisition by a Chicago coal syndicate in 1920, highlighting the influence of industrial interests on the naming and development of communities. Ran as Kleenburn from 1921 to 1933.

Koch: Post Office authorized in 1891; never in operation
Kooi: 12.5 miles northwest of Sheridan from 1907 to 1925, was a coal camp named after owner Peter Kooi and later sold to the Peabody Syndicate

Kuzaraville: read about Kuzaraville at - https://www.kuzara.org/grandfather-s-town-kuzaraville/
Lariat: 61 miles southeast of Sheridan with a Burlington train station, was named for a cowboy's essential tool, encapsulating the cultural significance of ranching in the area.
Lee: See Slack
Leiter: 9 miles northeast of Clearmont, has had its post office since 1918, named for Levi Leiter's who helped develop irrigation of lower Clear Creek.

Liggett: , 4 miles northeast of Clearmont opperated 1923 to unknown, it was another site with a Burlington train station.
Mandel: see Sheridan
Manlove: 1 mile east of Ranchester, had a Burlington train station also ran 1923 to unknown.
Marcum: a mountain settlement west of Sheridan named for homesteader L.W. Markham (no date but before the national forest was created).
McShane: see rockwood
Miltown: the original name for Beckton from 1882 to 1883
Model/Modelmine: a coal camp 8.5 miles north of Sheridan from 1920 to 1921, located on the Sheridan interurban line
Monarch: 10 miles northwest of Sheridan from 1903 to 1953, was a coal camp named for its high-quality coal, and monarch ruler, once home to over 1000 miners and families.

Mondel: see Story
Ohlman: located 22 miles west of Sheridan, held a ranch post office from 1883 to 1894, named for George Ohlman.
Oxus: established east of Sheridan between 1893 and 1903, initially in Campbell County before moving to Sheridan County a few months before closing.
Park: 30 miles southwest of Sheridan with a post office from 1909 to 1910, was near where Park Reservoir was constructed in 1911.
Parkman: 26 miles north west of Sheridan, post office (1894-current) Burlington railroad station started in 1894 named for Francis Parkman, briefly known as Atkins
Pass: located northwest of Sheridan with a post office from 1888 to 1894, was briefly known as Akins and named for a pass on the Bozeman Trail. Was founded by Thurston Akins; bypassed by the railroad in 1894; Post Office transferred to Parkman.
Passaic: 60 miles northeast of Sheridan from 1914 to 1942, was named by Mrs. Jim Jennings in honor of her hometown in Missouri
Ranchester: 17 miles northwest of Sheridan since 1894, Burlington train station; shipping point for McShane Tie Company; named by Senator S. H. Hardin, who combined the word "ranch" with the English work "Chester" meaning walled town.

Regis: 33 miles southeast of Sheridan, with a Burlington train station operational before 1907,
Riverside: 13 miles northwest of Sheridan, a coal mine with a Burlington train station from 1923 to unknown.
Rockwood: located northwest of Sheridan, functioned as the McShane Tie Company's headquarters from 1895 to 1897 and from 1899 to 1901. The settlement, which burned in 1898 and was rebuilt, briefly known as Granite and McShane
Sheridan: The county seat. Opperating since 1882, began with Jim Mason's first cabin in 1878. George Mandel later took over, opening a post office (Mandel) in 1881. The community, named and platted by John D. Loucks in 1882. Named for Louck's commanding officer during the Civil War, General Sheridan.

Slack: 35 miles northwest of Sheridan from 1891 to 1913, named for Colonel Slack of the U.S. Army, served as a stop on the Bozeman Trail, briefly known as Lee

Slater: positioned northwest of Sheridan, is notable for its designation as a post office, though specific dates are not provided. It was named after Mr. Slater, a homesteader on Rhoda Creek. Unknown dates of opperation.
Slave: situated 6 miles northeast of Arvada, had a post office from 1920 to 1923 and was on the Burlington railroad line.
Spingwillow: 22 miles east of Sheridan, operated as a post office from 1919 to 1929 on the Burlington railroad line, briefly known as Willow Springs.
Story: 25 miles south of Sheridan, has maintained its post office since 1901. Named for Charles P. Story, a pioneering mayor and newspaperman of Sheridan, briefly known as Mondell.

Suggs: 58 miles southeast of Sheridan, was a railroad terminal from 1891 to 1893, founded as a Burlington camp town and named for a local rancher. Was replaced by Arvada.
Ucross: 10 miles northwest of Sheridan, had its post office from 1916 to 1944 and from 1952 to 1964. Initially called Cedar Rapids and then Charger, the name was changed to Ucross in 1916, located on the Wyoming Railroad line.
Ulm: 27 miles southeast of Sheridan, had its post office from 1903 to 1960. Named by a railroad builder in honor of his birth town in Germany
Verona: 18 miles southeast of Sheridan, had its post office from 1900 to 1924. It was originally authorized in 1895 and featured a Burlington train station, named by a railroad worker for the Italian city of Verona.
Wakely: situated 6 miles southeast of Sheridan with a Burlington train station in 1916.
Walsh: 20 miles west of Parkman, operated a ranch post office from 1909 to 1911, named for postmistress Edith Walsh.
Willow Springs: See Springwillow
Wolf: 16 miles west of Sheridan, has been a continuous post office since 1895, named for the once-abundant wolves in the area. Post office now located at Eaton's ranch, one of the oldest and most famous dude ranches in the United States

Woodrock: 42 miles southwest of Sheridan, operated as a tie camp owned by the Burlington Railroad from 1905 to 1913. Initially called Rockwood

Wyarno: 9 miles east of Sheridan, has had its post office from 1921 to 1922 and from 1924 to the present.

Zelina: Post office authorized in 1907 but rescinded
Sources
"Sheridan Wyoming, selected historical articles". By Charlie Popovich
"In the shadow of the Bighorns : a history of early Sheridan and the Goose Creek Valley of northern Wyoming" by Cynde A. Georgen
"Big Horn City, Wyoming Territory, Volume 2: The City". By Deck Hunter
Clipping files in the Wyoming Room, Sheridan Fulmer Public Library
Ebay
Loved the photos, great information like the first female Wyoming mayor in 1911. Would like to learn more about her.
Thanks for the info Michael, please keep up the good work.